Did you know that regular floss is typically plastic?! Seed and Sprout have found a great alternative.
This dental floss is made from a cornstarch-based PLA, a compostable plant based renewable floss which is vegan friendly. It comes in a re-usable glass dispenser, making it convenient to carry with you. It is refillable and reusable.
What you get
1 x reusable glass jar with 30 metres of plant-based mint floss
Why we love it
- Plant based, made from corn starch PLA
- Vegan - coated with candelila wax
- Minty fresh with natural mint flavouring
- Such an easy way to reduce your plastic footprint
- Seed and Sprout also sell refill packs so the glass jar can be reused, winning!
2cm diameter x 5cm high
- Simply pull the desired amount of floss from your jar and tear off using the tab on the lid. The floss is compostable. The glass jar can be reused with refill packs.
Compostable vs. Home Compostable
There is a difference - this floss is compostable. In order to compost, PLA products require high heat, sufficient moisture and time to completely break down into carbon dioxide, water and a small amount of humus, a soil nutrient.
Seed and Sprout floss is nice and thin and may require less time than a coffee cup or piece of cutlery made from PLA, but it will still need certain conditions which may or may not be achieved in home compost. It may be the case that it will break apart into smaller pieces but may not fully compost under home compostable conditions.